|Steeple and bell, lying smashed in the graveyard. Haven't we all had days like this?|
It's repairs day Chez O'Truth.
Over the course of a few games and then the Call To Arms convention in Wellington, Leadwood Chapel's spire has received a knock or two.
(click on pics to view larger)
|Before removal. As you can see, my original design was not very strong.|
Given that this evening the model is going to be photographed for an as-yet-to-be-announced reason (ooh! What a tease!) I decided I ought to conduct a bit of a fix-up.
|Left above and below: A broken plank is carefully cut out. Right: Plank glued back into place.|
The steeple had to be cut from the church, cleaned up, repaired, modified and put back in place. This was actually far simpler than it sounds, but I thought, "What the Hell, Old Chap! Put it on yer blog!" So I did.
Hope you find it informative.
|New supports are cut from stained balsa. Pieces of dressmaker's pins are inserted.|
|Left: The new supports are glued to the canopy. Right: Additional reinforcing planks are placed between the supports.|
|Anchor holes are punched using a pin. The steeple will then be firmly but carefully put in place.|
|The final new-and-improved steeple.|
I'm happy with the result. The repaired steeple is much stronger than it was. I have thought about replacing it completely with a closed-in louvred design, but we'll see how it goes.
All the Best!