|Professor Shandy Tanglefoot's Over-Compensatory Death-Ray of Doom! (for humanitarian purposes only, obviously!)|
Tonight's post comes to you from the not-so-solubrious surroundings of a motel in Auckland, where I find myself somewhat lacking in glue and plastic rod... So, I thought I'd just let you all see the little side-project that filled the last three days of my holiday last week.
|A concept sketch I doodled months ago. I wasn't sure back then how I was going to go about this.|
|Bits of stuff, destined for greatness!|
So, without further ado, let me introduce you to:
Professor Shandy Tanglefoot's Over-Compensatory Death-Ray of Doom!
And my, oh my, what fun this one has been!
|An old drill, DVD, broken bracket, push-pins and cogs from a printer form the main body of the weapon.|
You will no doubt recall the motor I stripped from an old drill and made the central feature of the core room of Lord Smudgington Smythely-Smythe's Hydraulically Motorvated Sextupedal Land-Traversing Vacational Domicile. Well, for this piece, I decided to put the drilly-end of the drill to good use.
|A reflector from a broken light becomes the main body of the Death-Ray. Card strips, cogs from a correction tape, a piece of an old transformer and other bits quickly transform junk into a very cool machine!|
|The gun's focussing array starts life as a washer and the nozzle off a glue bottle. Brass wire, plastic tube, beads and crystals from a chandelier are used to build the array.|
Standing the drill on its end and adding bits of junk was a wonderfully fast way of getting a very tall, very complex-looking structure. I glued a broken bracket to the top of it and started just sticking stuff on where it seemed to fit. Later on, this slap-dash approach caused a few painting issues (I should have painted a few bits before attaching them) but the speed with which things evolved really kept me enthused!
|Legs and girders, boiler, planking and gun-mount are constructed. I chose plastic for the planking for strength. The woodgrain effect was easy to achieve using very heavy grade sandpaper.|
|The structure is carefully balanced together, prior to painting.|
I wanted a steam-powered look for this weapon, as for all of my others, but whereas I have tended towards large locomotive-type boilers elsewhere (and huge for my ongoing Giant Walker project) I decided to be a bit silly and give the Death Ray a really tiny boiler. This, I constructed from plastic board and a piece of the inner tube from a receipt roll. A couple of cylinders were made from push-pins and sacks of coal were made from green stuff and pieces of grit.
|The main structure is painted before other parts are fixed in place. Note the big side-panel and chimney, thrown together very simply from plastic board and rod.|
|Cogs and rivets abound! And a sheet of corrugated iron..?|
If anything, the danger with a fast project such as this is the temptation to rush ahead at the cost of detail. I had to slow down and remind myself that the true value of a Weapon of Mass Delusion lies in its rivet count!
|Boiler, gantry and really big cog, rivetted and painted.|
|The focussing array, painted. I am really happy with how this turned out!|
|Focussing array and gun, painted and joined. Loads of rivets and nice thick guitar-string-conduits add plenty of interest.|
|The main crystal shines within the reflector.|
And so began a Super-Epic rivetting session...
|Handrails and ladder are constructed from plastic tube, rod and sheet. Copper rings and painted jewelery chain are added. This was the fiddliest fiddly bit.|
|Gun and tower details. Some of my rivets have rivets. this is becoming a habit.|
When it came to painting this monstrosity, I found myself a little limited. I have used a lot of red and green on other machines, and blue or yellow just didn't seem 'Death-Ray-ish' enough... So I went black and brass. I was worried that this might be a little too simple, but in the end, set-off against woodgrain, copper and a touch of greenery, it worked beautifully!
|A drive-belt joins two massive, rumbling, rumbly things.|
|The underneath bits. Sacks of coal (sorry about the wet glue in-shot) cylinders, cogs, boiler and ladder.|
|Control levers, conduits, transformer and handrails.|
|The dastardly Professor Shandy Tanglefoot beside the dastardly weapon's dastardly controls!|
Just because it's what I do: The Rivet Count for this ridiculous weapon is a whopping 1158 ! All done in a matter of a few hours' work. Not bad, if I say so myself...
|A Hydrothermicopter's eye-view.|
I have to say that this model is a definite favourite. I'm thrilled with how it has turned out and it's a great example of how a good piece of work can be simple, fast and fun to produce.
Let's just hope Her Majesty's forces can find and destroy it before lives are lost!
Next post: Back to Lord Smythely-Smythe's Hydraulically Motorvated Sextupedal Land-Traversing Vacational Domicile...
All the Best!