Wednesday 16 January 2019

Opening New Doors...

Hi, All!

Before I get started on today's post, let me take this opportunity tell you that I am now on Instagram under "Colonel O'Truth's Miniatures" for those of you who would like to follow me. I shall be posting lots of pretty pictures on a regular basis!

I hope to see you there.

Anyway, on with the Stargate project!

Ready to see where this leads!

At last, several days later than I planned, my steam powered Stargate is complete! And I'm very happy with it, I must say!

When last I spoke at you, I had completed the main elements of the layout and was moving on to the finer details and smaller parts.

The first banister rail is added. 

Both rails in place and painted!

The first of these was the banister rail for the stairs. These I made from brass rod, with loops of plastic tube to connect to the uprights I'd already attached to the stairs. This was a relatively simple task but it really made all the difference when it was done!

The controls... A bit boring, I felt.

The stairs done, I turned my attention to the control mechanisms. I admit, I had been putting these off as I really wasn't sure about the design I'd begun. No sooner had I started painting them than I realised they just looked a bit boring. And then it hit me...

"Magnets!" I shouted, scaring the cat. And lo, it came to pass.

Magnets are made from plastic board (and patched with green stuff where I made a wrong cut!)

Rivets! More rivets!
The finished controls, with guitar string cables.

I fashioned a couple of magnets in the same style as the ones I made for the Faraday Galvanic Field Gun, oh so many years ago! This also gave me the chance to add more rivets!

As I mentioned in my last post, I also wanted to add a coal bunker, and I wasn't happy with the base for the model, so I cut and detailed a new base from yet another discarded old vinyl record and a sheet of 5mm foamcore.

The basic parts of the coal bunker.

A very small shovel!

The finished pieces.

The coal bunker was really quick to make from a few off-cuts of plastic board, some scrunched up tissue paper covered with glue and gravel and lots of rivets, of course! I also had tremendous fun making a teeny tiny shovel to finish off the scene.

The finished coal bunker fills an empty corner of the base nicely.

Unfortunately, there was also a little bit of remedial work required. I had glued the Mysterious Shimmery Portal Bit into the gate with superglue, which had slightly frosted the acetate sheet with fumes. This would not have been too bad, but the accidental frosting allowed the ink wash on the green paint to bleed into the MSPB. Ugly. So I made a fresh MSPB, cut out the old one and replaced it using blobs of PVA. This is fine as it only needs to hold the (very light) acetate in place.

The spoiled MSPB (left) and its replacement (right)

And suddenly, I was ready to put it all together!

Nice big fat cables are added!

Once the main pieces were glued down, I added more guitar-string cables, along with some brackets I'd made to secure the cables to the ground. (Four rivets each! Adds up quickly!)

Cables and brackets link the controls to the rest of the machine.

Et, Voila! Who knew making a doorway between the stars was so simple?

Final Rivet Count for this beauty:

1,389 !

So with that all done, here are lots of nice pictures for your enjoyment! See you soon for my next creation, and of course the return of Lord Smudgington Smythely-Smythe's Hydraulically Motorvated Sextupedal Land-Traversing Vacational Domicile!















All the Best!

29 comments:

  1. 1389 admiring exclamations! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A smashing piece I must say. Clever of those chaps to reverse engineer that utterly alien device. The addition of the red buttons to the Dial Home Device really tops it off. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elderac! Glad you noticed those - they were a bit of an afterthought but they really made the difference!

      Delete
  3. Elegant, my dear Colonel! H G Wells himself would be proud to own such a model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind sir! When I invent a time machine I'll be sure to go back and ask Mr Wells for a critique!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see you back and posting Colonel, I love the controls (watch your fingers though!) and the solid little coal-bunker looks like a coal bunker should look! But I can't possibly comment until you return to Lord Smudgington Smythely-Smythe's Hydraulically Motorvated Sextupedal Land-Traversing Vacational Domicile! And there's an end to it.

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the controls do look a little bitey! And I'm glad you like the bunker! Thank you very much!
      As to LSSSHMMSLTVD, I shall consider myself duly told!
      Watch this space!

      Delete
    2. I've literally been waiting in tenterhooks for a year or two, as you were just about to start putting all the big bits together and get it marching about! Or that was the impression given!

      H

      Delete
    3. That sounds jolly painful, old chap! May I recommend double sided tape instead?

      LSSSHMSLTVD is a somewhat daunting project and I needed a break! I just didn't plan on it being so long! As I write, the engine room is twinkling at me and the chassis (such as it is) is leaning against my couch. I'll be back to work on it soon!

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you back with your riveting creations! Alas, it would seem I shall lose track of you with the move to Instagram. Perhaps you will remain part of the blog-o-sphere as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Terry! Sorry I was away so long!
      Don't worry - Instagram is an 'as well', rather than an 'instead'.
      More soon!

      Delete
  6. Dear lord, that's incredible! You have discovered a path to a new dimension of fantasy and built it from discarded dreams. Well done sir! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you very much sir! Such enthusiasm brings a giant rosy smile to this old warhorse's cheeks!

      Delete
  7. Just excellent, as usual. I long ago ran out of new superlatives to use when describing your works.

    Look forward to your next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squire Womack, my old friend, thank you very much! Always appreciated, irrespective of the chosen superlative!

      Delete
  8. What a triumph Colonel! Beautifully realised and wonderfully photographed. Found you on Instagram too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michael, my good man! And I saw that you were following Instagram too.
      Always good to hear from you!

      Delete
  9. Colonel,

    This is a bit from out in left field. I was looking again at the Faraday Galvanic Field Gun and was wondering if you ever found a suitable engineer for the rear wagon. I noticed the masthead image does not have one.

    Looking forward to more amazing creations.

    Elderac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!
      No, I didn't - and the Field Gun was sold to a collector. However, I've rather regretted that decision, so I am planning to build the Faraday Galvanic Field Gun Mk2 (with Big Mike II)

      Delete
    2. I am sure Her Majesty will be greatly pleased.

      Delete
    3. I can never tell. She doesn't smile much.

      Delete
  10. I still say that "You ought to charge admission to view your blog!" Beautiful product from your creative genius and modeling skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well! I shall send you an invoice!

      Thanks for the continued support, Jay! Good to hear from you!

      Delete
  11. Splendid sir...
    I am sure the have one of these at Papplewick pumping station rear me...
    If not... they bloody well should have.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if they do, see if it can zap you over to New Zealand with a few beers!

      Delete