Saturday 2 March 2019

Remember This?

Hi, All!

I'm finally getting to grips with Lord Smudgington Smythely-Smythe's Hydraulically Motorvated Sextupedal Land-Traversing Vacational Domicile...

The monster is back!

When I last reported on this monstrosity, I had started work on the chassis for the entire machine. And that's more or less where I stopped for around three years!

Wooden struts are added after ripping away previous work,

Anyway, I'm glad I took the break because now that I have returned to it, I have so many great ideas, and a fresh enthusiasm - which is definitely required when contemplating rivets in their tens-of-thousands!

The underbelly is gradually constructed.

Upon digging the chassis out of my spare room, I found it was a little warped. I also realised that the foamcore structure I had constructed was going to be too bulky and, frankly, boring. So I opted for tearing the whole structure apart, reinforcing the MDF boards and starting again.

More shape is added...

It will be necessary to build, detail and paint the entire underside of the machine before continuing with the upper decks. So for now, I'm working 'upside down', which is challenging.

The brackets are in place and will eventually be used to secure the legs.

Steel brackets were screwed in place and glued with epoxy for permanent strength (I'm taking no chances on these ever working loose!) as they will be used to attach the six legs of the machine and will essentially be responsible for supporting the entire weight of what promises to be a pretty heavy model!

Curves from straight lines! Maths, innit!

An interesting little technique I hit upon was in the construction of large curves where the two sections (main section and engine section) meet at a hinge. I often draw my curves freehand, but these were too big and needed to be calculated more precisely. I remembered having fun at school as as kid, drawing curves across an X and Y axis with a ruler. With a little careful calculation, I was able to adapt this technique to get the desired shape. Clever, if I say so myself!

Nice curves, madam!

With the structure taking shape, it was time to add more flickery LED lighting so that I could start closing the lower decks in in preparation for detailing and painting. I ran brass rods through part of the machine as a main circuit and soldered wired LEDs to these as needed.

Portholes are drawn and punched.

The first LEDs and portholes in place. Remember - you're looking at this upside down!

For the outer hull, I have decided to work mainly with card rather than plastic - representing a huge cost saving! Portholes were punched out and backed with lightly sanded acetate as with the rest of the machine so far.

The inner workings...

The lowest deck starts to look, well, decky...

So there you are for now! As you can see, there is a tremendous amount to do but I feel enthused and inspired! Watch this space!

All the Best!



23 comments:

  1. I am thrilled to see you back on this project Colonel, really loo=king forward to seeing the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall endeavour to keep you enthralled, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Your post has made my day, what an incredible project! Also fascinating to see the methods and materials used in your construction. Looking forward to future progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And nice to hear from you again!

      Delete
  3. Huzzah! It's back! Glad to see you're ressurrecting the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ! Yes indeed! It's back, it's intimidating and I must be mad...

      Delete
  4. Looks awesome, as always. Math is fun and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My word, but this never ceases to be an awe inspiring project. Absolutely smashing, sir! I at least am . . . speechless. I'm deeply glad you've been able to get back at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while, but yes, I am back into it now. Thank you for your enthusiasm! Such comments keep me going!

      Delete
  6. Excellent post, it breathes enthusiasm. Makes me want to go and build a rocket and fly to Venus or something. Looking forward to the next update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let me stop you! Venus is lovely this time of year.

      Delete
  7. This will be a legendary piece. I shall continue to watch and be amazed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legendary, eh? I shall certainly endeavour to live up to that accolade!

      Delete
  8. My Dear Colonel,

    I am delighted to see that the shipyard has sobered up and ceased its work-to-rule. Progress is riveting, as ever.

    Kind regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Sorry for the slow reply... These damned clerks and their schedules and wotnot...

      Delete
  9. Excellent to see you back at this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. It's nice to be resuming work on this one, although it is still rather an overwhelming prospect. I may be old and grey before it's done!

      Delete
  10. Great to have you back Colonel. Love your projects they are an inspiration, almost make me want to reopen the Painting Bureau (https://andyspaintingbureau.blogspot.com/). Maybe I will, one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Andy! Perhaps you should - but only when you feel the passion has returned.

      Delete
  11. Pleased to have you return, sir. I love this project. Mostly been a silent-yet-enthusiastic watcher, but your return to it has me cheering. :)

    ReplyDelete