|Mk I Hydrothermicopter... Airborne at last!|
Well, here we go again - another day, another post...
|The crew, having been disarmed...|
I am happy to announce that the first Hydrothermicopter is finished! As predicted, the cockpit detailing and crew were a little fiddly, but I'm happy with the results.
|The painted pilot and his seat are added to the cockpit and a 'desk' is constructed around him.|
The first stage was to attach the bodies and heads of the crewmen to the upholstered chairs I made from greenstuff and plastic, and to paint them. Arms could not be added at this stage, as I intended to build controls around the pilot and his arms would get in the way. They would have to be added later. I find it helpful during such work not to think of man and machine as separate, but rather as all part of one model.
|Control panel tops the desk, then arms are added. I also put a steering column in the pilot's hand.|
The steering column the pilot is holding was something of an improvisation. The cramped nature of the cockpit, due to my wanting a gunner in the front made it very hard to get the pilot's hands to look like they were manipulating the controls that were very close to his chest. As a result, he is leaning forward in something of an 'action' pose, gripping a long control rod and steadying himself with his other hand.
|Gunner is added. A plain flat panel hides his incomplete body from view.|
The gunner was much simpler. All I had to do was add upper arms and obscure most of him beneath a flat panel, as if he is hunkered down, right in the nose of the vehicle. His chair fits comfortably beside the pilot's control rod.
|...and the side...|
Final Rivet Count... 254!
Now I just have to do the other one...
Meanwhile, as work continues on the second Hydrothermicopter, the Flunks, Scagworms, Lord Blandford-Fly's Lancers and plans for a BIG project, I thought I'd also get cracking on the Eternally Lost Tribe of Wutha-F'Kahwi...
|Wutha-F'Kahwi warriors in the making...|
My models of choice for these notorious warriors are plastic Mahdists from Perry Miniatures. I didn't want to do the Zulu-thing and these seemed just perfect as an alternative. I have two boxes - which will make around eighty warriors, depending on how many I mutilate for other purposes - and I suspect I may need many more.
|A tribesman of note leads the warband...|
I thought I'd start with a ten-man warband, armed with rifles. Clearly, some nefarious character has been arming the natives with European weaponry...
|Rifles?! By what devious devices did these savage killers come by such things...?|
I also dug out of my Big Box O' Bits a plastic T-Rex I had previously converted to be ridden by a 1:72 scale plastic knight many years ago. It wasn't a very good job at the time, but now I have a more noble purpose in mind...
|Customised Chieftain and somewhat battered T-Rex...|
So began the construction of a Chieftain, mounted on his terrifying steed.
|Left: straps and barding are added. Right: bits of plastic rod and strip provide the framework for the saddle.|
I had to cut a large amount of gunk and glue from the T-Rex to begin, as well as remodelling the rider's legs and abdomen. Next, cloth barding, straps, blanket and an elaborate saddle were gradually added.
|The saddle is sculpted from greenstuff.|
Once the rider was in place (I intend to paint this as one whole model, rather than paint the mount and rider separately) I thought about extra details. A shield, quiver of spears and scabbarded sword were added. I still have to add reins.
|The almost completed model. Spears are plastic rod with spear tips from the Mahdist warriors sprues. Pennant on the lance and jewel on the quiver are from GW High Elves.|
|A shield hangs from straps attached under the saddle.|
I quite like the orange colour of the T-Rex, although I didn't do a good job of the tiger stripes. I'm not sure what colour I will go for in the end. I also intend to produce Wutha-F'Kahwi archers, spearmen and of course the crews for the Flunks. This may take some time...
Oh well. that's it for this post...
|A Hydrothermicopter rushes to aid Lord Blandford-Fly, suddenly beset by a bad case of Scagworms...|
All the Best!