Thursday 19 May 2011

Just How Miniature Can A Man's Issues Get?!

OK...
You know how about twenty four hours ago, I claimed I created my Reptile army because I wanted to avoid doing "generic" fantasy...?

Well, kindly forget I said that. I'm thirty-eight years old. My mind wanders. I say things I don't mean. And when I was at school, Hypocrisy 101 (or: How We Built The Empire) was part of the curriculum (along with 'Latin For Dummies and 20th Century Clueless Teenage Anglo-Saxon Throwbacks'; 'Hunt-the-second-years-and-dump-them-in-snowdrifts/bushes/unflushed toilets'; and 'Detention As A Cure For Atheism')

But I digress...

I have just spent the last couple of hours cleaning and undercoating a couple of hundred 10mm fantasy miniatures from Copplestone Castings and Kallistra, which I bought about two years ago and never got around to finishing. True to form, I did the bad guys and the big, scary monsters first, so they've been running amok in my Cupboard Of Secret Things, safe in the knowledge that the good guys haven't got their uniforms on yet...
A somwhat large number of orcs an' stuff...

I promise, I'll get the forces of freedom (albeit monarchistic, ritualistic and xenophobic) ready in time to stem the evil flow of self-expression and creativity personified by the drooling masses of orcs I have already unleashed...
Treemen emerge from the woods, to find their allies as yet woefully unprepared...
Anyone care to guess which side I'm favouring?

More 10mm very soon.

All the best!

2 comments:

  1. 10mm eh? Not sure what rules you are planning playing but I've got ~4000 points each of orcs and elves painted up for GW's Warmaster, a very enjoyable game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I acknowledge...

    Then, if I may, re. your 4-legged walker... to go with it, I suppose something like this (imagine tricornes instead of Napoleonic shakos) would be over-ambitious?


    The idea is to have the equivalent of the 'Cloudships of Mars' but -to keep a 'Lacepunk' rather than 'Steampunk' look- still requiring a balloon to lift the hull / gondola...

    If you don't want to develop a full 'Cosmos 1745' background, remember the Pacific Ocean was largely unexplored by then: add a hole in the Van Allen belt / magnetosphere or whatever allowing the 'Aether Winds' to reach the ground of the 7th Continent there. Over millions of centuries the 'Aether Winds' transmuted some aluminium salts into cavorite, in turn accumulated by endemic trees in their cell walls (-> 'Lightwood', provided it's activated by the Aether Winds); while maybe a 'plant felt' from the pulp of this same wood, incorporated into the balloon envelope, absorbs the energy of the Aether Winds, which can be channeled to contribute to the buoyancy & / or propulsion?
    Thus you can have a 'Lacepunk' setting on good old Earth, without any risk of the technology spreading outside a restricted area and turning all war(games) everywhere into 'VSF in tricornes'. And you can have the Maidenhead 'Babes that time forgot' among the natives...

    ReplyDelete